Short papers & excerpts
For papers on Nightingale’s work on nursing and health care see Nursing and Health Care; on Nightingale’s faith see Spirituality. Journal articles on Nightingale and Seacole can now be found on an external site: http://maryseacole.info.
Listed below are papers and excerpts on other subjects.
- Lynn McDonald, Florence Nightingale and Statistics: What She Did and What She Did Not Do,” in Radical Statistics 128 (2021)
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale: Statistics to Save Lives.,” in International Journal of Statistics and Probability , Vol. 5, No. 1 (2016)
- Lynn McDonald, Florence Nightingale in Groniek special issue: Vrouwen/Women: Struggle against Prevailing Standards 46,198 (2014):49-59.
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale, Statistics and the Crimean War” in Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A, (2014) 177, Part 3, pp. 569–586.
- Lynn McDonald, “The Timeless Wisdom of Florence Nightingale” in Canadian Nurse, Feb. 2013.
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale A Hundred Years On: Who She Was and What She Was Not,” Women’s History Review 19,5 (November 2010):721-740
- Lynn McDonald, “Mythologizing and Demythologizing.” in Sioban Nelson and Anne Marie Rafferty, eds., Notes on Nightingale: The Influence of a Nursing Icon. Ithaca NY: Cornell University Press 2010 91-114.
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale and European wars: from the Crimean to the Franco-Prussian War.” in a Dutch journal, Leidschrift Historisch Tijdscrift. 2007, a special issue on European wars.
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale as a Social Reformer.” History Today 56,1 (January 2006):9-15.
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale and the Early Origins of Evidence-Based Nursing.” Evidence-Based Nursing 4,3 (July 2001):68-69.
- Lynn McDonald, “Florence Nightingale: Passionate Statistician.” Journal of Holistic Nursing 16,2 (June 1998): 267-77
- Lynn McDonald, Paper for the ASA Meetings, Toronto 1997 “Florence Nightingale: Social Theory and Methodology”